Author Topic: Testing Linux on a semi-old laptop  (Read 2093 times)

Offline BillBoh1971

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Testing Linux on a semi-old laptop
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
Got my girlfriend's old laptop. A P4 3.0GHz with 448 RAM. Odd amount of RAM memory but i have to deal with it.

Now the thing still works fine and very fast with Windows XP. Only one problem: the things tends to overheat. I have CPU Temperature Monitor installed: a small and good application who puts the temperature in the system tray and lets me choose at which temperature i get an alarm and at which the system must shut down. I've put it on 70°C and 75°C. First question: do you think those are the good max temperatures?

Problem: with windows i'm safe. But when testing Live CD's i'm never sure what temperature it will be. I don't wanna burn the thing with my experiences. Any idea what i could do? Can't do anything in the BIOS.

EDIT: I have to add the thing seriously overheated and froze (yeah, quite funny it freezes when it's overheated) when testing Mandriva with the KDE desktop.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:35:31 AM by BillBoh1971 »

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Testing Linux on a semi-old laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
Do not know about max temperatures - they depend on the processor. What do you mean - cannot do anything in BIOS? For me a computer, where I cannot access BIOS is trash. In BIOS you can monitor temperatures, there may also be wrong setups for heat control.

Intel themselves admitted that P4 is not really fast, but it just gets very hot. I mean, they really did say this. So, it is on the edge always, especially with laptops.

Based on many discussions - you should disassemble the laptop and remove all the dirt from the inside. There may be dirt layers inside, which cannot be removed in any other way. After that, it should work reasonably well. With different Linux OS's there are many applications for monitoring and forcing the fan to run - do not know what you can do on a Live-CD.

If you try to use air blowing that may also help somewhat, probably not good enough in your case. However, be careful not to overdue it. If you blow to the fan, it may over-spin and get broken.They say that it may fry the motherboard, too (although, I do not believe that to be possible - I think this incident is more likely to be caused by static shock that the computer has got from the vacuum cleaner pipe). Anyway, be careful with static (use cotton clothing, ground the computer by touching it) and do not over-spin any fan.
Long ago, set into rhyme - Ours the right - Our reason to be here.