Author Topic: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" released.  (Read 2112 times)

Offline BillBoh1971

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" released.
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:54:10 PM »
Looks good, and reviews are overwhelmingly positive despite some controversial changes. Has anyone tried it yet, or plans to? I'm still hesitating what to do with my main machine. Install Ubuntu, Xubuntu, wait for the release of Lubuntu or just install Puppy. I plan to install Puppy anyway as second OS.

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" released.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:29:44 PM »
Yes it was released about 24 hours ago. I managed to try it out already with my Dell M65 laptop (although I was travelling) with a USB Flash boot - all documented on their download pages. Works well, boots much faster than before, I mean the live-boot. There has been nothing wrong with the boot time with the real installation even in the past.

Well, I had used several versions (alpha and beta) already on VMware. They offer even ready to run VMware computers for several Ubuntu versions in VMPlanet, as well as many other Linux distros. Well, in comparison, windows-like commercial model of operating systems is beginning to suck a big time. It makes everything so utterly difficult compared to the open Linux world, where you can boot and download and use the operating system with all its applications every which way you want - and much faster!

For instance, trying out Linux Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit version took about 25 minutes - the total time. That was spread with:
< 15 minutes to download
< 10 minutes to create USB stick
about 2 minutes to boot

The time to use a new Windows version, well, it starts by going to a shop in town and after that loading, downloading and buying rest of the software for 2 days, if everything goes well.

This is a very big difference for a regular user. For companies, this does not matter much, because they can afford all the Windows licenses that they want and they can use them immediately as they see fit - just a matter of announcing their usage to the seller. But a regular consumer does not have any of these possibilities - he just has to pay and pray that it works, usually something doesn't.
Long ago, set into rhyme - Ours the right - Our reason to be here.