Author Topic: Digital soundcards  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Digital soundcards
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »
This is about PC devices, so I guess this belongs to here.

I tried out last year an EMU 0202 USB, which is a digital, USB soundcard with also some extra in/output possibilites compared to regular PC soundcards. I was surprised how much better my MP3s sounded with that. Well, perhaps it should not have been such a big surprise, because my real comparisons (at that time) were motherboard and laptop soundcards. I guess everybody should understand that they are no good for music listening.

Anyway, I ordered now one for myself from here:

Musikhaus Thomann
(www.thomann.de)

That is a German based webstore. From my experience and looking at their site, I would give them almost 10/10 - that's the way how to run Web business! They charge 20 euros per package - and it DOES NOT depend on what you order (even if you order a grand piano!) ! A nice hassle-free concept, I say.

Anybody has any comments on USB sound cards or better soundcards in general?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:44:38 AM by Ganymedes »
Long ago, set into rhyme - Ours the right - Our reason to be here.

Offline Derek Cook

• Band Member
    • View Profile
    • Echoes Music
Re: Digital soundcards
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »
The EMU sound cards are reknowned for their quality (same audio converters as used in high end products), although a lot of people shied away from them because of the the fact that Creative owned EMU at that point.

I have a 1212M PCI card myself and have happily used that for many years. Although I will probably move over to a firewire interface such as the new Yamaha/Steinberg one when I next upgrade.

I also have a USB Edirol UA25 on my laptop for running Native Instruments B4 live in Pure Floyd, and am pretty impressed with that.

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »
Yes, I had similar doubts about EMU when I noticed that it was a Creative product. But then I heard from "an usually reliable source" that technology-wise Creative has nothing to do with those product lines.  :winkle:

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:53:53 AM »
I got the device and the sound quality was even better than I remembered. My comparison was now to Sound Blaster Live PCI-card.

I can now have excellent sound quality on a laptop, even on a mini-laptop. Device works in my case with XP Pro and Ubuntu Linux 9.04. With the latter it is very easy, because you do not need to install anything, just first select EMU in "Preferences - Sound".