Author Topic: Google chrome  (Read 9845 times)

Offline Melo the Prog Goddess

• Daddy's Little Girl & Bua
  • Administrator
  • Christmas Eve in our home
    • View Profile
    • Eclectic Moonlight
Google chrome
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:55 AM »
Has anyone tried this? If yes, what do you think of it?  :drums:
"Gamma, help me". my younger grandson said in imperious tones! He wanted me to put in my password  and unlock my phone so he could play with it!

Offline RonF

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DPRP
Re: Google chrome
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »
I tried it when it first came out, but quickly uninstalled it when the word about the EULA got out - basically, Google tried to claim they owned anything you uploaded to the net. They quickly withdrew the offending clauses and claimed it was a 'mistake', but for me the damage was done.

As for the browser itself (I was only trying it out of curiosity, as I'm happy with Firefox): it seemed decent enough, but a bit too basic.

Ron

Offline Derek Cook

• Band Member
    • View Profile
    • Echoes Music
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »
Notwithstanding the EULA issue, I also tried it. The specs were good, but it was very basic in functionality, which is bound to get better over time if it continues to be developed.

But for now, it's still Firefox for me!

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »
I tried it when it became generally available, but have not used that since then. I do not give a damn about the EULA wording - none of that was valid in EU the first place, mistake or not. Microsoft and others (like many record companies) are causing perfectly valid problems for the customers - I would worry more about them.

Also, the user interface is perhaps not that important either - I use Firefox and that seems to be good and advancing. The point, what I have read, is that Google is the biggest company money-wise behind Mozilla = Firefox. So, what they did with Crome is already in Firefox. Something like 10 times faster Web page loading is the technological advantage that this Chrome project has done - and they can implement that to Firefox, too.

So, either way, this is a win-win situation for the customer. All the Google products seem to become truly better with each version - unlike many other products in the software business. For instance, Google calendar is a sensible calendar system compared to Outlook. And G-mail is much better than Outlook almost in every respect.

Also, Firefox runs with my Linux distros and that is one reason to be more interested in Firefox. Nowadays, I not that much into dangerous sports, like using Windows in public Internet  :elf: . Of course, if you do not have enough problems otherwise, then I can recommend that as entertainment - but even then, it would be better to use somebody else's computer for that  :elf: Otherwise, use Linux (or Mac).
Long ago, set into rhyme - Ours the right - Our reason to be here.

Offline Mooch

• Global Moderator
  • 20 Year Trip
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Palmer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
Interesting news.

So far, the best option for Mini laptops (that I know of) has been Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Linux based of course. I mean that is if you have not let yourself been taken as a hostage with Microsoft formats or windows-only-applications. For that purpose, Vista just does not work, XP is a horrible, retarded choice and other Linuxes (like Acer and ASUS) have been slightly irritating to use.

Now we have been waiting for Google's Android operating system to offer a realistic alternative.

But, no, I guess, Google's alternative will the Chrome OS then? Slightly confusing at this point ... was Android too modest attempt ... will Google's target be to take a market share from ALL laptops or even ALL PCs? As such, I have no reason to doubt that they wouldn't be capable of doing that. There are no real reason to use Windows with every day applications, you could just as well use another operating system.

I googled "android versus chrome" and that got me this:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2009/tc2009079_065270.htm
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:43:22 PM by Ganymedes »

Offline Derek Cook

• Band Member
    • View Profile
    • Echoes Music
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
I read in the UK Daily Telegraph yesterday that the Chrome OS = Chrome Browser plus Linux

Personally, I'm OK with XP (as a lowest common denominator that's stable and runs music apps pretty well), but I detest Vista with a vengeance

So I look forward (as an ex-Amigafile) to anything that challenges Microsoft's dominance. But as a developer (see www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk for what I do), I do hope that this Chrome OS will support Java (as a cross platform language).

Offline Ganymedes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
Yeah, it remains to be seen what Google plans with Crome OS really are. It is obvious that they want to have a better control of WEB possibilities than what is possible on Windows. They have offered the best e-mail solution for many years and nowadays offer many other WEB services. With their own operating systems they could enhance those possibilities significantly, I think.

It is obvious why they do not want to be dependent on Microsoft in everything that they do. The question is why they do not want to use existing Linux versions, where basically everything is possible already, like with Ubuntu. Perhaps they want more flexibility and want to do things more quickly and that is why they come up with their own version of Linux? If so, that is a good thing - they just offer more choice to people. On the other hand, if they just want to have a better control over consumers and provide incompatible solutions - that is not a good thing. We have seen what kind of technological slow-down Microsoft has caused with their politics. They have tried to prevent consumers to use better systems every which they have been able to - by providing incompatible development tools and applications. I hope Google will not go into that direction.

Well, Android was Google's first Linux version - now the second already before any computer really has Android, only phones have it. That is another question - why?